Friday, October 30, 2009

remembering the days yet to come

I noticed the sideways glance as you passed me by, the averted eyes, the hesitation as if you weren't sure of yourself, but were struggling to come to a decision. You stopped after a few more steps, then turned around. Timidly, you approached and stooped low toward me as I sat on the cold, wet pavement with my cardboard sign leaning against my knee. I looked up and you blinked back tears. Then you gave me the sandwich and the soda you had just purchased from the subway shop. Roast Beef. Very good. And you smiled in reply to my thank you. You asked me my name and I told you. You kneeled by my side and said, "God loves you." Then I smiled, too, remembering the days yet to come.

And soon, when the time for discussing such matters is at hand, I will invite you to my side and say, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.'

You and all the other gathered saints will wonder at my words, saying, "Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?'"

And I will say, "Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me."

(NRSV Matthew 5:34-40)

30 October 2009 by Glen Alan Woods

No comments: